SMWS for managing inspections, drilling, cutting, removing asbestos containing material or debris or dust.
Important Notes: (ACM – Asbestos Containing Material, ACD – Asbestos Containing dust or debris, HEPA High Efficiency Particulate Air - filter)
No licence required for:
- up to 10 m2 of non-friable asbestos or ACM
- ACD that is:
- associated with the removal of less than 10 m2 of non-friable asbestos or ACM;
- not associated with the removal of friable or non-friable asbestos and is only a minor contamination.
SWMS is for: ‘Work of a minor nature’ includes small tasks that are of short duration, such as cutting a small hole or hand-drilling up to a few holes into AC sheet. Work of a minor nature is not routine or regular such as planned maintenance. It is incidental work that can be done quickly and safely with minimal control measures required to ensure safety. Other wise work must be performed by a Class A licence holder.
Examples of work of a minor nature:
- cutting a small hole into an asbestos-containing eave to install a cable;
- removal of an asbestos-containing vinyl tile to install a plumbing fixture;
- hand-drilling a few holes into AC sheet to attach a fitting.
- As a General Rule if the building was built:
- Before the mid-1980s it is highly likely that it has asbestos-containing products;
- Between the mid-1980s and 1990 it is likely that it has asbestos containing products;
- After 1990 it is unlikely that it has asbestos-containing products.
- Some houses built in the 1990s and early 2000s may have still used asbestos cement materials until the total ban on any activity involving asbestos products became effective from December 2003.
- Asbestos-containing material may be found in:
- textured ceilings and linings;
- asbestos cement sheeting or cladding;
- asbestos-backed floor covering; and / or etc..
Facial hair can affect the performance of respirator and that the users should be clean-shaven.
- Respirator P1 or P2;
- Disposable coveralls;
- Safety goggles;
- Shoe Protectors;
If you are sampling overhead, we recommend that you use a full body disposable suit and goggles.